Rebel without a clue

I am in some kind of a secret commune with at least a hundred other people. It's right in the middle of a densely populated city, but only those who live there know about it.

I know some people, but others I don't. We're safe in this area, but outside of it we're subject to a dictatorial, malevolent government of some kind.

I've just come back from some kind of a raid in which I've obtained photos of a popular star, some belongings of my family, and a processed food that is so extremely nutritious that if a broth is made by boiling a small piece if it in a huge pot of water, each serving would be as fortifying to the body as an entire meal. Anything added to the broth for bulk and flavor would absorb the nutrients, making the resulting stew extremely satisfying. I have gotten enough of the processed food item to last us through the entire winter. The piece is just slightly larger than a grapefruit.

I give the items obtained for the community to the leader, a middle-aged woman who is very happy to receive them. She starts to give me praise, but I'm embarrassed and tell her to stop. I say I'd rather not stand out, and have people talking about my trip, and I ask her to not make a big deal about it. She says ok, but still gives me a hug and a thank-you. It's better than being singled out and stared at, so I hug back and tell her let me know if she needs anything else done. She says she'll call on me when I am needed. I leave her rooms feeling very positive; accomplished and appreciated.

I place my family's things in our rooms, then go back out. There is some reason why I have to go out into the city, just outside the complex, on an errand. I step out and walk a couple of blocks. Now I'm in an area that borders on a downtown area with two and three story buildings.

I discover that the "fronts" of the buildings are lined with men hung up on the walls, and lined up on balconies or in front of open windows. This is something new, but I can tell from people's averted gazes that it's not new to them. At first, I think the men on the walls are dead. Then I realize they're alive, and being tortured. Some of them are just hanging up, but some are being electrocuted, or subjected to substances or devices that burn or otherwise inflict pain or discomfort. They're on display as an example to everyone, but each is being tortured as punishment for something to do with himself.

I have no knowledge of why they're being punished, and can only guess that they did something really illegal. However, they all look like regular guys. There are way too many of them to all be thieves or rapists or anything like that. I ask someone what they did, and all I get is a terrified stare before she bolts away from me. A young man approaches, draws me into an alley, and whispers to me that they're all considered enemies of the state, all for little things they did like choosing a color to paint their houses without consulting anyone, or for things over which they had no control, like becoming disabled after catching a stray bullet during a conflict between rebels and state police. He tells me not to ask questions in public, or I'll end up on the wall with those guys.

This pisses me off. I tell the guy thanks for the info, and then tell him he might want to be somewhere else. I start pulling energy from the ground around me. I can feel it flowing into my body from under the bricks that line the alley. I think of laying on a grassy hill on a breezy day in the summertime, feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin, but still kept comfortable by the breeze. The energy takes on a warm, positive glow. I direct it at the men on the wall, and whisper "relief."

I see a wave of energy going out from me, looking like heat waves coming off of the hood of a car that's been running for a while. It hits the men, and they all relax. The men on the balconies begin removing the devices, helping to get the guys off of the walls, and turning towards the rooms behind them. I hear shouting from inside.

"What the hell? What do you think you're doing? You're going to regret this!"

I continue to draw energy, changing my thoughts. I focus on my anger, letting myself feel like I need to punch someone. I'm drawing energy from the stones in the buildings around me, where the emotions of the tortured men have left their mark. I direct this at the guards "tending" the men, and I whisper "torture the torturers."

I see twelve big men in odd uniforms that look something of a cross between security guard uniforms, and some kind of spiky S&M get-up. They have rushed the balcony of the building directly across from me. They're beating on the relieved victims. When I whisper, I see the energy flow out from me. It's like seeing a current of hot water moving in a body of cold water. It rushes across the street and hits the guards. They twist and contort, screaming. One falls over the balcony and lands on the pavement. I can hear similar screams coming from the other buildings, and I know that the energy has hit all of the guards.

The guys begin collecting everyone and head into the rooms. I know they're going to come out of those buildings and have to go into hiding. I send a mental message to one of them to find me in the alley. If we run through to the other end, we can quickly get out of this neighborhood, and I can have them hidden before any authorities come along. My contact shouts to the other guys to follow him, and they do.

I realize that if I'm going to bring a bunch more people into the commune, even though there is room for them and work for them, I'm going to have to get more processed food. I start mentally preparing for another raid.

No comments:

Post a Comment