Recurring nightmare: Ravenous

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d864/d278/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpgI'm in a darkened room, sitting on a hard cement or stone floor. I'm extremely hungry, like to that point where I feel weak and shaky. All around me, in the dark, there is meat. I am grabbing big chunks of it and eating with my hands, letting the juices run down my chin and onto my clothes, barely chewing before I swallow. No matter how much I stuff my face, I'm still famished, still feeling shaky and weak, as though I haven't eaten in a few days.
I can hear the sound of my own munching, the smacking and ripping sounds as I tear chunks off of the meat with my teeth, chew, and gulp it down. I am disgusted with myself for eating this way, but I feel like I am starving. If I slow down, I'll never catch up to this hunger. It's so strong, it hurts.

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d991/d252/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpgI get to the point where I've eaten everything within reach. I crawl around looking for more. There is a feeling of desperation. What if there is no more food here? Quickly, I come to a wall. I'm momentarily distracted by that, and feel my way along it. It's made of stone blocks or huge, smooth bricks. It's curved around enough that after feeling my way along for a while, I realize the room is round, with no doors. I can't find a ceiling, even if I jump, but I do come across more meat. I sit down and begin gobbling it up.

Soon, I've eaten everything around me again, and I crawl along the wall looking for more. I continue to seek out more meat and cram it in for a long time. There always seems to be more, but I always seem to be starving.

Suddenly, there is light. Way up above me, there is a crescent shaped crack in the darkness, and I see something falling. It hits the floor with a thud. In the dim glow from the light above me, I can finally see what I've been eating. On the floor all around me are human corpses and human body parts. The object that just fell is the corpse of a large man. Looking up, I can see the silhouettes of two people. I hear them talking.

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d859/d931/d745/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg"Is she eating them?"

"Looks like it."

I can see that my hands are stained with blood. It's caked under my fingernails. My clothing is soaked in it. Huge segments of flesh have been torn off of the bodies, and I'm surrounded by bones. It's not just meat. I've been eating human flesh. I've been ripping their bodies apart and cramming wads of human flesh down my throat like some kind of carnivorous beast.

I am shocked. I think I should feel nauseated and ashamed, but I don't.
Even now that I know what I've been eating, I'm ravenous, and I'm thrilled that there is fresh meat in front of me. To not grab and devour it takes an immense amount of restraint. The only reason I am able to make myself wait is that the people above me are watching me. There is nothing out of the ordinary about their appearance, but something about them terrifies me.

I hear myself growling at the people above me, and though I'm horrified at how animalistic I sound, I can't stop. Though my logical mind tells me otherwise, I am emotionally convinced that they are going to take my food. I can't stop thinking of the bodies as food.

The silhouettes face each other. One nods, and the crescent of light shrinks to nothing, once again returning me to darkness. Unseen, I lunge at the fresh body and begin tearing into it. I can't stop. I am so hungry!

Oddly, in these dreams, as long as there is "food," I don't have the sense of being trapped in the little room, which seems to only be about 12 feet in diameter. I have no desire to escape, only a desperate need to eat. Only when I think there is no more to eat do I think about getting out.

In worse versions of this dream, when there is light and I look around, I can see that the faces on the bodies are people I recognize. On a few occasions, some of them have been moving. The worst time I ever had this dream, some of the bodies were my loved ones. That time, I woke screaming.

Most of the time, when I wake from this dream, I can feel that I've gotten hungry in the night, and I think that maybe I was feeling the hunger pangs and they made me have the dream. Other times, though, I don't have that, and I have no clue why I'm dreaming of having a crazed, starved, feeding frenzy on human flesh. I never feel guilty about it during the dream. 

When I wake I'm momentarily baffled, grossed out, and upset about my activity in the dream and my attitude toward it. The feeling mostly fades quickly, as I am able to look at this as just a dream, but I do remain really disgusted by the thought of it. Even when I am hungry, having had this dream makes it hard for me to eat breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment