Fragments of the journey

Sleep was really broken up last night, so the same happened with my dreams, but they were all weird nonetheless. The first one was yet another instance of me being a guy in my dreams. Kinda weird... it happens a lot. When I was younger, it used to upset me, but it doesn't bother me any more.

I'm on my way to a wedding, driving a big long van. In it are the tux I'm supposed to wear, and a pair of shoes that are hell on my feet. I'm not putting any of it on until I get there, not because I'm afraid it'll get spoiled, but because I just hate wearing crap like that. It's uncomfortable no more because the clothes are binding and inflexible than because they're just not me. It can't be helped. I'm in the wedding.

I'm having a rough time with the van. It drives fine on flat road, but it really struggles on hills. I think back to a joke I once heard in a movie, about driving a Rolls Canardly... rolls down one hill, can 'ardly get up the next. Har har har.

To add to the stress of the day, I get lost. I make a wrong turn, and end up driving toward some small town I've never seen before, and I've driven all over the state. Now, I'm not in the van any more. I'm on a three-wheeled vehicle that is kind of like a tricycle version of a motorcycle. I'm driving slow because I'm looking for a landmark, glad there's not traffic for me to hold up. As I move along, I spot a cop car hidden behind the big sign welcoming drivers to the town. As I spot the car, I realize where I turned wrong, and decide to turn around. I'm in the right lane of a two lane road, so I signal and get over to the left.

Where the officer is behind the sign, there's a place to make a legal U-turn, but the officer is parked perpendicular to it, blocking the whole thing. Behind him is a little island of sidewalk and grass in the middle of the road. It seems to serve no purpose but to split the highway.

Beyond that, I can turn left into a gas station parking lot. There is a traffic light, but I have green, so I turn and use the gas station to turn around. As I turn around in the station, the light changes and I get green again, right when I'm ready to go. I turn right into the left lane of the two lanes going back out of town. I pull up next to the officer, and there's another light at which I have to stop. When I do, the officer turns on his lights, gets out of his car, and approaches my window.

I roll down the window and he asks me what the hell I'm doing. I tell him that I took a wrong turn and got lost, where I'm going, and how I screwed up. He looks annoyed that I had an answer, then fiddles with something on his radar gun while asking me if I know how fast I was going coming into town. I know that I was only doing 50 in a 65, because out of habit, I had checked my speedometer when I saw his car. I tell him how fast I was going, and he looks triumphant, and says, "WRONG!"

He shows me that it says 177 MPH. I know this is impossible, because this bike won't go that fast, and even if it would, I couldn't have made the turn if I had been going that fast. He then proceeds to tell me that I made an illegal U-turn at the light, even though we both know I pulled into the parking lot of the gas station to turn around. Then he says that I ran a red light to make the turn, even though we both know the light was green. I tell him that I know none of what he is saying is true, and I hear a gasp from my right. I look, and realize that now there are several cars around us, both lanes stretching almost back to the previous light. The lady in the big van next to me looks shocked.


I tell the officer that he and I both know he is lying, that I saw him fiddle with his radar before showing it to me, and that I think I am being targeted because I'm from out of town. He says, "No, you're being targeted because of who you are." Then, he hands me a ticket for an amount that is more than I make in a month. I know the name of the town now, and I can find my way back here. I know one other thing the officer doesn't: I've got a video camera in my helmet which I've been using to record the trip, and it has recorded everything we've done and said, along with my speedometer. I have all the proof I need to demonstrate that he's lying. I tell him I'll be back to fight the ticket in court, and he laughs. I drive away angry, but slowly and carefully. I don't want to give him an excuse to pull me over for real.



* * * * * * * * * *


I'm in a big Victorian house with a huge number of rooms. I guess that makes it a mansion, but it's just one big house, not a long narrow place with "wings."

I am in a dining room with a small table. It looks like it was meant for only a few people, like maybe four, max. My dad is sitting at the table, working on a laptop. I am chatting with him. I hear my husband call me. It sounds like he's off to the side that doesn't have a door. I have to go the long way around to get to him. I go up a short set of stairs out of the room, then turn right into another room, go through that, and into a hallway. There are several rooms off of the hallway, the end of which opens into a big, spacey room with chairs and couches.

Several of my friends are in one room practicing belly dancing. I want to tell them I'll join in later, but I'm afraid I'll either look inept or hurt myself because they've all taken classes in it and I've never had the opportunity. I learned a few moves from a professional, but I've never even practiced them. Anyway, I'm looking for my husband. I hear him calling me again, but this time his voice is further away.

I go on into the big, open room. At the other end of that room is a short stairway going up to kind of a little deck that has doorways at both ends. I go up those steps and head for the doorway on the right. That should get me to where he is. As I enter the hallway, I hear him calling again and tell him I'm coming.

* * * * * * * * *

I'm on a stairway moving up. It's poorly lit. I know I have to go up, turn right, go down a hall, and come back down. I'm still looking for my husband. I've been walking for a long time, and can't seem to find a way to the part of the house where it sounds like he is.

* * * * * * * * *

Somehow I've ended up in a basement. It's really dark here, with just patches of light. I know I'm not in the right place. I can barely hear my husband calling me. The sound is coming from above. There are scraping sounds coming from the darker areas around me. I can't see what's making the noises, but I have the idea that I want to get out of the basement before I find out. The stairs look like they're yards away from me. There are dark spots on the floor between me and them. I think that I should jump over those. I am running.


I woke up from this one with kind of an "unfinished" feeling. My husband was sleeping in the bed, right next to me. As soon as I saw him, I felt better, but I wonder if he had been saying my name in his sleep, and that caused the dream. I've heard him talk in his sleep a few times before. It's rare, but it happens.

* * * * * * * * *

I'm in my room, working on something when I hear a noise. I'm home alone, so I know there shouldn't be anyone in the house. I stop what I'm doing and listen. It sounds like something solid hitting the wall in my son's room, not really hard, but kind of quiet, like a knock.

I go down the hall and stand outside his door. Standing there, I hear the knock again, almost right next to my head. I don't hear any other noise there. I open the door and look, thinking he might be in there, but there's no one in the room. Then, I hear that same sound, but it's coming from downstairs.

I go down the stairs. There's no one in the living room, but I hear the sound again, coming from the kitchen. I go look in there, and that room is also empty. I look in the utility closet, but everything in there is fine. I hear the knock again, and this time it's definitely coming from the direction of the living room. I check the bathroom, just in case, but no one is in there, either.

Again, the living room is empty. The sound is coming from an outside wall this time, so I look out the peep hole in the door, then look out the window. There is no one outside in that direction. I hear the knock again, this time from the same wall, but above me. I hurry up the stairs and down the hall to my room. I hear the knock again, this time really loud, when I am just outside the door.

I fling the door open, looking for the intruder, but there's still no one. Now, I just feel silly. I must be reacting to the sounds of the apartment building "settling" as the weather changes. Mad at myself, I turn to start working on my project.

It's not there.

The knock starts up again, on all of the walls in the room. I hear it all around me. Fear tightens my skin and shoots ice up my spine.

I have the strong feeling that whatever is causing this is centered in the closet, and I have to go past that closet to get out of this room.


The change of emotion woke me. I woke feeling like there was something in the room with me, and rolled over expecting to see my husband. By that time, though, he was out of bed and getting ready for work. I don't work as early as he does, so it wasn't time for me to get up, and I was still really sleepy. I thought I should get up, because it's usually under these circumstances that a bad nightmare occurs, but I was so tired I dozed again instead.

* * * * * * * * *

I can feel my covers sliding off. I reach to straighten them up, and can't find the edge. The covers slip entirely off of my feet, and I feel nervous. I sit up and grab the middle of the blanket, and pull, managing to get everything back onto the bed. I find the top and wiggle around until I'm covered again. I settle back into the pillow, but as soon as I do, the covers start sliding off again. I pull them all the way onto the bed, so that nothing is hanging off the edge.

I feel something grab the covers over my feet, and the whole set is thrown off of me, flying up into the air. Something grabs my ankles, and with a good hard yank, pulls me off of the bed. My head hits the floor with a thunk, and I feel myself dragged toward the closet. I can hear heavy breathing with a bit of a rattle in it. I try to scream but I can't. Kicking as hard as I can, I feel my foot impact on something like flesh and bone. There is a crunching sound, and a loud growl, and I feel teeth sink into my foot.

The pain woke me, but it didn't end there. I don't know if the foot cramp caused the dream, or the dream caused the foot cramp, but for several moments after I woke, it felt like those teeth were still sunk into the bottom of my foot. I had to sit up and massage it out before getting out of bed. The whole time, because of the last two dreams I had, I felt totally, irrationally creeped out by my closet! At least this time, I didn't wake up on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment