Gnawing pain

This is the first time in a long time that I woke from nightmares really, really freaked out. 

It's dark, and I'm laying on my back. I'm in pain from my shoulders to my hips. My first thought is that I rolled over onto my back in the night, and my body is protesting. I don't know why, but for some reason laying supine like that causes my lower back to cramp up, and then if I don't wake right away, the surrounding muscles cramp, then pain is referred outward until it hurts just like this.

I try to roll up on my side, and feel something hard and sharp impact against my arm and ribs on the right. Under my shoulders and my thighs, and around my ribs and right arm, are more hard, bumpy sharp things poking into me. More of them are going across my chest and the tops of my thighs. That is when I notice a hot breeze blowing from my left, hitting everything from my head down to my knees. As I try to move, those sharp things clamp down just a little bit, pressing into my skin. I hear a sound almost like thunder rumbling in the distance off to my left. I stop moving, and the pressure on me returns to its former level. A cooler breeze comes across from the right, and I can feel that my skin is wet, and while most of my body is laying on something soft, it stops at the hard, bumpy things, and everything on the other side of those is hanging off of that edge.
   
The hot, damp air blows over me again. It smells like puke and raw meat. I lift my left arm and feel to see what is pressing into my chest. My fingers touch something somewhat smooth. The surface of it has a texture similar to porcelain. Trying to trace upward, I can only lift my arm so far before pressure on my shoulder stops the movement, but my fingers reach the top of the smooth, hard surface and find something different. That is also smooth, but instead of solid, it's rubbery. My fingers press into it like they would into the side of a water balloon. When I touch that, the thunder rolls off to the side again, and the sharpness clamps down on me so hard I can hardly breathe. That startles me the same way falling would, and I find myself kind of flailing, reaching out to the sides and grabbing. On my left, I find that the "cushion" I'm laying on is like a wet plush carpet, though the fibers are rubbery instead of like fabric. On my right, there's a soft, rubbery pillow-like thing.   
  
It suddenly hits me that I'm in something's mouth. The sharp things are teeth. The first soft I touched was the upper gums. My left hand is on a giant tongue. My right hand is grabbing a lip. Every time I move, it's biting me, and that thunder is its growl. The wind, and that horrible smell... that's the creature's breath. I'm smelling stomach acid, and whatever - or whoever - it last ate.   
  
Horror turns my insides to jelly. I imagine how big this thing must be, with teeth as long as my forearm and a mouth that's over three feet wide at the front - its jaw must be even wider at the back. My mind produces terrible images of monsters and dragons, giants, and demons. I'm sure it's going to eat me, unsure why it hasn't all ready. Is it savoring the taste, or is it just not hungry right now? Creeping cold rises in me as I try to think of some way out of this, and nothing comes to me. Near panic, I try to open my eyes, but I can't. It feels like they are glued shut. Every time I move, those teeth clamp down tighter, until even breathing is a struggle. I can feel a trickle of fluid running from my chest onto my throat, but I can't tell if it's this thing's saliva, or my blood.

This dream felt like it went on for a long time. For once, I was completely not lucid. I was not quite paralyzed with fear, but I couldn't remember what to do - couldn't pull energy, or anything, and every time I struggled to escape, it bit down harder. I don't know how long it actually was before I slipped out of that dream and into the next one, but I never dreamed that I got out of those giant jaws, and it really felt like I was suffocating under the pressure. I know I started another dream after that before waking with a jolt in the middle of the night. I remember running through a woods, hearing something huge and loud behind me, and tripping over something. I woke still feeling that pain, and thinking I was having a heart attack, until I moved and it faded. I don't know if I dreamed this because I rolled over on my back and was in some pain, or if I rolled over trying to escape the monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment